Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

September 5, 2011

Book Review: The Dog Who Knew Too Much by Spencer Quinn

The Dog Who Knew Too Much by Spencer Quinn
The Dog Who Knew Too Much
Author: Spencer Quinn
Series: A Chet and Bernie Mystery #4
Release Date: September 6th, 2011
Publisher: Atria Books
The fourth entry in the irresistible New York Times bestselling mystery series featuring canine narrator Chet and his human companion Bernie—"the coolest human/pooch duo this side of Wallace and Gromit" (Kirkus Reviews), marks a triumphant return in a tale that's full of surprises. Bernie is invited to give the keynote speech at the Great Western Private Eye Convention, but it's Chet that the bigshot P.I. in charge has secret plans for. Meanwhile Chet and Bernie are hired to find a kid who has gone missing from a wilderness camp in the high country. The boy's mother thinks the boy's father—her ex—has snatched the boy, but Chet makes a find that sends the case in a new and dangerous direction. As if that weren't enough, matters get complicated at home when a stray puppy that looks suspiciously like Chet shows up. Affairs of the heart collide with a job that's never been tougher, requiring our two intrepid sleuths to depend on each other as never before. The Dog Who Knew Too Much is classic Spencer Quinn, offering page-turning entertainment that's not just for dog-lovers.
I've been meaning to read Chet and Bernie Mystery books but never had the opportunity, until I got book #4 of the series from Simon and Schuster Galley Grab. I  had heard great things about it, and it didn't disappointed me.

The Dog Who Knew Too Much continues the story of Chet, a dog, and Bernie, his human. They work together as private investigators and in this case, they have to found a missing boy. The mother think it's her ex-husband fault, but the case take an awful direction when Bernie is sent to prison and Chet is left alone!

I simply loved Chet. He's the narrator and is totally cute. Yes, he's a dog, and the narrator. I had a smile all the time while reading him, the way he saw things as a dog was just hilarious!

"Do you feel that breeze? Where's that breeze coming from?!? Oh, it's my tail!"

"Sometimes human pat you without knowing they're doing it. This had the feeling of one of those, as thought the hand was acting on its own. Nothing crazy about that: my tail does the same thing."

The story is the typical mystery that begins with a missing child and ends with drugs dealers and dog  robbery. I'd say it's a cozy mystery because Chet is a lovely and fun character, but at the same time Bernie is very serious.

Overall, I loved The Dog Who Knew Too Much! I wish I'd have read the first three books before reading this one, but it wasn't necessary to understand the story. Chet is my new favorite character, and if you are a dog lover, I think you will love him too!


1 comment:

  1. The only other book with a dog as the commentator I can remember is one called A Dogs Life by Peter Mayle.

    This was a very funny and entertaining book.

    I had not heard of this series before but it sounds like a good read.

    Carol T

    buddytho {at} gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete